Daylight by Matt&Kim- Final Music Video

Monday 23 January 2012

4. Star Image & My Digipak

Star image is incredibly important in the cover art for any release of an album, as it is what essentially sells the product. If you have an enigmatic and visually appealing figure pinned to the front of you CD Case or Digipak it is much more likely to attract the attention of potential buyers than if you don't.
Lana del Rey- Star Quality
A fantastic example of this is the cover art for Lana Del Rey's new album 'Video Games', as she is exquisitely beautiful and possesses a star quality right from the word go, immeditately attracting attention. I find this use of photographing the artist for the initial cover art a fantastic technique for album promotion as it provides it with a personalized touch as you get a really good view of the person who has actually produced the music you are about to purchase. In addition, she is incredibly visually appealing and anybody would be happy to own a photograph of this woman or any attractive star that has created the music you listen to.


Vampire Weekend- Cover Art essentially reflects style and genre of product.


However, due to my song being produced by a band an not a single artist, I will not be photographing a 'star' for my cover art. Instead I will be using images that reflect and link to the content and style of my video, as I am essentially releasing a promotional package of a single and video, not just a mere song. Taking this into consideration I will be producing something a bit like Vampire Weekend's 2007 album, Vampire Weekend, as they are a similar genre and style to 'Daylight' by Matt&Kim.





'Rule of Thirds'

Mock Up of my Cover Art
When photographing my cover art, which at the moment will be the pair of converse shoes, I will have to be incredibly aware of aspects such as light and mise en scene in terms of the placement of subject in the frame. To do this I will be using the rule of thirds. In terms of photography this means that the image is cut up into nine sections allowing me to place my subject in an area that allows the photograph to possess the same amount of interest in all sections. 
Therefore, I have placed the shoes to the centre of the right side of the album. That way, it adds a great deal of space on either side for the rays of sunlight to be viewed, and adds a simplistic essence that appeals to the 'less is more' aspect of my video.

Lighting is key in this photography domain, especially as my single is actually called 'Daylight'. To display an extreme since of light in my cover art I have photographed the shoes against the sun to cast a stong and elongated shadow on the sandy beach. I feel this contrast adds interest to the intial image and ups the quality of it.

Editing is absolutely vital, as a vintage tone in the video calls for a vintage tone throughout my promotion package, as continuity is essential in the advertisement of my product. Although each image will be different, I must make sure the editing process is the exact same to attain an identical shade and tone on every image.

All photographs are and will be taken on my SLR camera to ensure quality and clarity in every single image.
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment