Daylight by Matt&Kim- Final Music Video

Thursday 13 October 2011

17. Story Arc

As my video doesn't have a particular narrative, I have planned 5 sections to it to add variation in the clip and capture my audience's interest.

1) GRAPHIC MATCH
For my opening scene I plan on introducing my actors through the editing technique of graphic matches. A series of close up shots of their faces, eyes, mouths, hands&feet will be taken as they movement in beat to the music. This technique allows me to incorporate the idea of individualism in a range of different people, linking to the song's genre aspect of 'indie', through an eye catching editing style.

Example's video for their single 'Kickstarts' has been greatly inspirational to me. Check out the graphic match that takes place during the opening scenes and hopefully this will give you an idea of what I am aiming towards. Here is the link as the video's embedding has been disabled on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yGcKlYAiw&ob=av2e

2) STOP MOTION
Following the graphic match I intend to use stop motion to illustrate the lyrics of a song. Hopefully this clip will summarize the technique I am going for, although perhaps not as elaborate as demonstrated.



This technique adds interest to the clip as it provides a break between the filming of actual things. It also adds a little bit of a 'pop arty' feel which hints towards the pop genre, but also appeals to my indie target audience due to the creative expression displayed.

3) ACTORS RUNNING ON BEACH
My next section of the story arc will display the group of actors running on the beach. I feel this will  add interest as it contrasts the previous scenes focused on tight details as this one will feature mainly long and extreme long shots in corporation with jump cuts and slow motion, which will add variety to the editing, therefore creating a much wider breadth and idea of space within the scene. A vintage wash might be put on this scene as I think it could enhance the quirky and individual genre as well as be visually appealing.

The beach emits a sense of freedom
This image emits a sense of endless freedom as it is taken within the immeasurable area of nature. This idea of freedom will be very appealing to teenagers as they often have quite a strong idea of breaking free and rebellion which also relates to the lyrics of 'Daylight',
"we cut the legs off of our pants
threw our shoes into the ocean
sit back and wave through the daylight
sit back and wave through the daylight".

Therefore, hopefully my intention of emitting a highspirited atmosphere and youthful rebellious attitude will be achieveable through this section and the upcoming one I will now explain.

4) ACTORS MESSING AROUND SCHOOL
The word school can have connotations of order&confinement
Ideas of school can often be in correlation to images of a world of confinement and rules, therefore I believe that this section will be a great and interesting contrast to the previous which represented ideas that were completely opposite to the ones explored now.

This scene will feature my group of actors generally misbehaving around school in a rebellious but playful nature in order to reflect the high spirited attitude in the lyrics.

5) CHORUS
In this section the words to the chorus will be illustrated by actors holding up signs on which the lyrics are written. I intend to use jump cuts to edit these shots together, which will allow me to incorporate everything quickly and efficiently as well as reflect the bouncy and happy beat that supports the melody throughout the song. The fact that the words will be spelt out also emphasizes the lyrics and the fact that it is the chorus.

The image I am going for

The use of cardboard signs can also be associated with big 'statement making' and protests which correlates to a strong and opinionated attitude, thus I feel it would be ideal to reflect the nature of the lyrics.

These are the 5 scenes I have planned, however each one will appear twice within the music vid depending on which section of the lyrics and song they most relate to. I feel that this will keep the video simple enough to follow, yet the variety in scenes will add enough interest to capture my audience for the duration of the track. 

There is a very specific reason I have chosen to use no particular narrative in my music video as I feel that the song does not revolve around the telling of a story, but the emitting of a certain mood and feel. I want the vid to be about the reflection of an attitude, as opposed to the depiction of several events, as I find the portrayal of emotions much more powerful than any kind of narrative explored in todays more mainstream music videos. I also believe that the fact that no particular order is followed will reflect the indie/pop genre more realistically, as indie does not conform to the norm as it reflects attitudes of individualism, independence and just generally 'going with the flow', which is exactly with this music video will be about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment